In a note to employees, Bezos said he will stay engaged in Amazon as executive chair, while focusing on other projects. Here are some of his highlights:
* Amazon: As executive chair, Bezos said he planned to focus on “new products and initiatives”.
* Day 1 Fund: A philanthropic endeavor announced in September 2018 to fund existing nonprofits that help homeless families and create a network of new, non-profit, tier-one preschools in low-income communities.
* Blue Origin: Bezos’ space company, which aims to make access to space cheaper with reusable launch vehicles. The company is currently testing rocket systems, as well as a moon lander called Blue Moon, with a first mission planned in 2024.
* Bezos Earth Fund: Bezos last year pledged $10 billion to fund scientists, activists, nonprofits and other groups fighting to protect the environment and counter the effects of climate change. He announced the first 16 recipients, of a total of $791 million in grants, in November.
* The Washington Post: Bezos bought the US newspaper in 2013 and is credited with revitalizing the brand into a powerful player in online media.